top of page
  • Dimitri Peppas

Adelaide City Stretches Lead At Top

Adelaide City stretched its lead at the top of the table, as Adelaide Blue Eagles won their first match of the season in Round 17 of the National Premier League – SA.

Captain Matthew Halliday got Adelaide City off to the best start, when he latched onto a corner and headed past Olympic keeper Lewis Moss.

Things went from bad to worse for Olympic, when before half time, Paul Wilson was sent off for the second time this season, when he was adjudged to have denied a goal scoring opportunity when he pulled back on Aladin Irabona after a defensive turnover.

Adelaide City sealed the victory when a mix up in the 18 yard box, led to Irabona slotting past Moss.

In the blockbuster clash at Newton, Campbelltown City came away with a 2-0 victory over Adelaide Comets, as the Red Devils pushed further up the table after their slow start to the season.

Luigi DiTroia got the scoring going after 9 minutes, when Comets failed to clear the ball out of defensive, and DiTroia was on hand to fire a shot past Julian Torresan from outside the 18 yard box.

Marc Marino sparked the Red Devils in the second half, and was rewarded when he managed to hold off three Comets players, before passing to Alex Mullen, who slipped the ball back to Marino to score the winner.

Adelaide Blue Eagles won their first match of the season, when they came back from a goal down to defeat second placed MetroStars at Marden Sports Complex. Hamish Gow put the visitors ahead when he scored a header after 11 minutes.

But second half goals to Hamish McCabe and Raffaele DeLucia gave the home side their first 3 points of the season, to keep their hopes of relegation survival alive.

Croydon bounced back from their midweek 4-1 loss to Olympic, with a 2-0 victory over Cumberland United. Sebastian Goode scored two goals in two minutes in the second half, to hand the Foxes their sixth loss in seven matches, and moving them into the relegation spot for the first time this season.

Meanwhile, Sturt Lions jumped into fifth spot with a 2-1 victory over Adelaide United at West Beach. Samuel Voigt scored a double in 5 minutes in the second half, to cancel out Jonny Yull’s first half strike.

On Friday night South Adelaide came back from 4-1 down to score 3 goals in 5 minutes of injury time to come away with a 4-4 draw with Adelaide Croatia Raiders.

National Premier League – SA Round 17 Results

Adelaide Croatia Raiders 4 (Temelkovski 22, 28, Kurikwimana 74, 85)

South Adelaide 4 (J.Rideout 76, 92, Sasaki 94, Veitch 96)

Campbelltown City 2 (DiTroia 9, Marino 56)

Adelaide Comets 0

Adelaide Blue Eagles 2 (H.McCabe 56, DeLucia 72)

MetroStars 1 (Gow 11)

Sturt Lions 2 (Voigt 62, 67)

Adelaide United 1 (Yull 36)

Croydon 2 (Goode 70, 72)

Cumberland United 0

Adelaide City 2 (Halliday 6, Irabona 55)

Adelaide Olympic 0

bottom of page