top of page
  • dimitriospeppas3

Comets Topple Leaders Adelaide City

Adelaide Comets have secured a crucial 2-1 victory over Adelaide City in Round 19 of the National Premier League – SA competition, with the result cutting City’s lead at the top of the table to just two points with four rounds remaining.

Nathan Andjianto was the hero for the visitors, as his brace, including a last minute goal, gave his side the vital win.

Lachlan Barr got City off to a good start scoring after 11 minutes when Charlie Devereux’s cross was met with a header from Barr, to score his third goal for the season, all via headers.

Adelaide Comets equalised after 63 minutes when Adam Le Cornu’s long free kick from the half way line, found Anthony Mavrolambados who tapped it to Nathan Andijanto who scored past Jed Gauci, who was playing his first match of the season.

And in the last minute of normal time, another quick thinking free kick from half way, found its way to Scott Nagel, who crossed into the box, with Andijanto smashing a first time volley past Woodlands to secure all three points for Comets.

At West Beach, MetroStars failed to hang on for their first win in 4 weeks, and they drew 2-2 to hosts Sturt Lions. Alessio Melisi got the scoring underway for MetroStars, scoring after two minutes, but Toby Nelson equalised just after 30 minutes.

Christian Esposito gave MetroStars the lead after 61 minutes, but Luke Fusco's goal five minutes from time, meant both teams left with a point each.

Campbelltown City kept its hopes of finishing in the top two spot, with a 3-1 home victory over South Adelaide at Steve Woodcock Centre. Nicholas Francese scored early in the match, but Jai Conroy equalised for the visitors just before half time. Second half goals to Trey Williams, and a penalty to Alex Mullen sealed the victory for the home side.

At Marden Sports Complex, Adelaide Blue Eagles won its second match of the season to keep its relegation survival hopes alive, thanks to a goal to Liam McCabe in the dying minutes to seal a 2-1 win over Cumberland United.

Ben Visser gave the visitors the lead after 22 minutes, but moments later Isaac Mullen scored from the penalty spot for Blue Eagles. But it was Liam McCabe's goal that meant Blue Eagles need to win all four remaining games, and hope results go their way, to avoid relegation.

In the early kick off, Adelaide United and Adelaide Olympic played out a 1-1 draw at Jack Smith Park, to keep their top 6 playoff chances alive. Jonny Yull gave United the lead after 24 minutes, when Mohamed Toure played through a quick ball, with Yull slotting past Olympic keeper Lewis Moss. But five minutes later, Fausto Erba scored his 10th goal of the season, when a quick free kick from Paul Wilson found Erba free in the box, scoring past United keeper Joe Gauci, who was playing his first match of the season.

In the late game on Saturday night, Croydon won its third match in a row, with a 2-0 victory over Adelaide Croatia at Croatian Sports Centre.

Domenic Costanzo and Pat Caraccia both scored in the first half, to move Croydon four points out of the relegation zone.


Adelaide United 1 (Yull 24)

Adelaide Olympic 1 (Erba 31)

Adelaide City 1 (Barr 11)

Adelaide Comets 2 (Andijanto 63, 90)

Adelaide Blue Eagles 2 (Mullen 33P, L.McCabe)

Cumberland United 1 (Visser 22)

Campbelltown City 3 (Francese 7, Williams 55, A.Mullen 75P)

South Adelaide 1 (Conroy 41)

Sturt Lions 2 (Nelson 35, Fusco 84)

MetroStars 2 (Melisi 2, Esposito 61)

Adelaide Croatia 0

Croydon 2 (Costanzo 34, Caraccia 42)

bottom of page