top of page
  • Dimitri Peppas

Metro & City Share The Spoils

The top of the table clash between MetroStars and Adelaide City proved to be a high intensity match but it lacked many real chances, as the sides played out a 0-0 draw at TK Shutter Reserve in Round 18 of the National Premier League - SA competition.

Alessio Melisi for MetroStars was the closest in scoring, when midway through the first half, his wonder strike smashed the crossbar.

Esposito came close towards end of the game to break deadlock, but his shot from outside the 18 yard box just went wide of the upright.

Moments later, Nicholas Bucco had an opportunity to score for City, but his shot was well held by Isaac Carmody.

Aladin Irabona broke through the MetroStars defense and went one on one with Carmody but his shot was unable to beat the keeper.

Despite an intense final five minutes, both teams shared the spoils.

Meanwhile on Friday night, Croatia came back from two goals down to beat Adelaide United 3-2 at Jack Smith Park.

It was a turnaround for the away side who were thumped midweek by Adelaide City.

A mistake by Croatia keeper Nick Munro gave United the perfect start after 7 minutes when Binyam Kebede reacted quickly to block the attempted clearance and tap into net.

United went 2-0 up when a dubious penalty decision allowed Kebede to score his second.

But Croatia came back with a storm, and only 60 seconds later James Temelkovski popped up to score in a goal mouth scramble.

Just before half time, Vianne Kurikwimana was first to react when the United keeper fumbled the ball from a corner, and poked it in to level the scores.

Dion Kirk gave Croatia all three points when he latched onto a fine cross to header past the United keeper.

Croydon came back from a goal down to beat South Adelaide 2-1 at O’Sullivans Beach Sports Complex, a venue where the visitors have now won three of their four wins over the home side. Domenic Costanzo scored a late penalty to seal the victory for Croydon.

Charlie Ince equalised in additional time to give Cumberland United a point in their 1-1 draw against Campbelltown City at Bailey Reserve. Alex Mullen scored from the penalty spot for the visitors, but they couldnt hold on and left with just a point.

Adelaide Comets moved to second spot on the table, with a come from behind victory over Adelaide Blue Eagles, thanks to a last minute penalty by Allan Welsh. Hamish McCabe scored midway through the first half for Blue Eagles, but just before the stroke of half time Jaiden Diamantis equalised.


Adelaide United 2 (Kebede 7, 15P)

Adelaide Croatia Raiders 3 (Temelkovski 16, Kurikwimana 40, Kirk 52)

Adelaide Comets 2 (H.McCabe 25)

Adelaide Blue Eagles 1 (Diamantis 45, Welsh 89P)

South Adelaide 1 (Ellis 23)

Croydon 2 (Stefanopoulos 44, Costanzo 85P)

Cumberland United 1 (Ince 91)

Campbelltown City 2 (A.Mullen 75P)

MetroStars 0

Adelaide City 0

Adelaide Olympic 2 (Erba 25, Simossis 79)

Sturt Lions 2 (Atikinson 43, Altundag 86)

bottom of page